Question regarding ISA DMA

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 06:34:10 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how to use the ISA DMA with my PC. What I'm
not able to understand is that why is it required to have an IRQ line
associated with my device that is going to initiate the DMA?

As I understand DMA controller would be signalling CPU[Correct?] so
this IRQ would be handled by the ISA api? [Correct?]. What I don't
understand is that how the device would know that DMA has been
completed since device already has offloaded that work to DMA
controller so why is it required to have an IRQ for the device?

OR is it that I need to request_irq for DMA controller?

Totally confused at this point.

--
        ---P.K.S