remote devices

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 02:35:01 EDT 2014

Hi Riya,

It's actually not the major and minor numbers, sure they decide the
driver and the device but when it comes to read/write you actually
have file_operations. So I digged around a bit and this is the one you
should look into,

nfs_fhget

If you see at the end where it installs the inode->i_op and
inode->fop, the device files are initialized just like as if they were
on the NFS client machine itself. NFS operations are not used to
override device files here. How about using iSCSI and all for devices?

Maybe you can tell something more about what you are trying to do?

Regards,

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM, riya khanna <riyakhanna1983 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to access remote devices locally by mounting/exporting /dev nodes
> over NFS. However, looks like the access requests are treated local based on
> major minor numbers (e.g. "cat /mnt-dev-over-nfs/kmg" output is same as "cat
> /dev/kmsg")
>
> How can I change this behavior? and if it is at all feasible?
>
> Thanks,
> Riya

        ---P.K.S