HugePage by default

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jul 30 15:57:46 EDT 2014

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:41:26 -0500, Xin Tong said:

> Is there anyway for me to turn on HugePage by default in the Linux X86
> kernel, i.e. allocate a 2MB page by default in place of 4KB now ?

Possibly related config entries to research:

CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_HUGEPAGE_MIGRATION=y
CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE=y
CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_ALWAYS=y
# CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE_MADVISE is not set

However, if you allocate a single 4K page, that *won't* automatically
promote it to a hugepage - you need to allocate 2M of contiguous virtual
address space with the same access flags for it to coalesce into a hugepage.