Work

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jul 25 13:42:12 EDT 2014

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:23:00 -0400, Nick Krause said:

> I having been doing build tests and checkpatch in staging for the last month.
> It doesn't seem like it's worth my time as so my other people are doing it. I
> want an interesting project one that is challenging and rewarding :).

OK. I'm gonna be blunt.  That's about as dumb as people who post "What should
my next blog post be about?", and for exactly the same reasons.

If you aren't *internally* motivated by a specific goal/interest, we're
not going to be able to help.  Personally, I'm motivated to do testing and
debugging because I have a quarter acre of Linux boxes across the hall that
need stable kernels, and more users over on campus.  And every single bug
I catch in linux-next or Fedora Rawhide and file a *good* bug report on
is one less bug that one of my users can trip over and file a poor bug
report about. ;)

Other people are motivated by the fact their employer is paying them
to write a Foobar 2890 driver.  Some people find filesystems intellectually
interesting, and others worry far too much about security.  And so on.

But if nothing like that is jumping out at you, maybe you should go look
around and see if there's something in userspace that *does* jump out at you.