usb serial programming

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 15:05:58 EDT 2014

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 12:27:44 -0600, Bruce Rowen wrote:

> Assuming your camera is RS232, you can use a simple RS232 daughter card on the Raspberry (about $7 from MCM electronics and others).
> I have done this exact thing for communications with an old RS232 device.
>
> Alternative is of course a USB to RS232 adapter and as Greg writes, you just change the target device file (the $7 adapter also creates a /dev/ttyxxx device.
>
> -Bruce
> On Jul 21, 2014, at 12:18 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

Thank you, that's useful. This, you mean?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-15630

This one is for Arduino. I couldn't find one for Pi on the MSM site, but
knowing what to search for lead me to a plethora of expansion cards for
the RPi:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Expansion_Boards#RS232_to_TTL_converter

Thank you for the pointer.