Using /tmp for temprory storage

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 14 17:59:42 EDT 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 21:47:10 +0530, sagar hu said:

> I am trying to log huge data into SD card(class-10), doing this operation is
> causing frequent loss of data,  is there any way in which I can use /tmp for
> temporary storage and frequently move the data to SD card ?

This isn't a kernel question, it's a Linux 101 question.

Using /tmp as a staging area may or may not work - it depends what you call
"huge", and what you call "frequently", and how often you need to write to the
SD card.  I suspect my definition of "huge" and yours differ (mine includes
users who have petabytes of data and want to see 3 gigabyte/second throughput).

Bottom line, part 1:  SD cards are relatively slow. If you need to log
data on average faster than the SD can write, you're basically screwed
(unless you introduce something that does compression or filtering to
get the bandwidth below SD speeds).

Bottom line, part 2: We can't tell you *how* to do it, because it's going
to depend on whatever is generating the "huge data" and your options for
interfacing/modifying it.