Practical way to rename kernel-release on custom kernel

Safarin safarin87 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:28:39 EDT 2014

Hi Guys,

This question might be very easy for all of you. But seem this is
kernelnewbies mailing list. I need to ask this question.

I in the middle of learning to build custom kernel and my question is
how to have custom name for kernel version.

$ uname -r

I can see custom kernel print message.

>From what I read, we can change inside .config
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ARCH"
will produce the kernel release naming something like this.
3.16.0-rc3-ARCH

But somehow, when I try to install the modules

$make modules_install

I can see makefile create folder inside the lib/modules with naming
3.16.0-rc3-ARCH-00570-g110e430

110e430 is actually commit id and I check that naming is generated by
#define UTS_RELEASE "3.16.0-rc3-ARCH-00570-g110e430" in the
"include/generated/utsrelease.h" header  which will
overwrite "include/config/kernel.release".

Back to the question, what is the practical way to naming the kernel
release for custom kernel? with additional question for understanding
more from where that utsrelease came from?

Thanks,

Regards,
Safarin