USB forceful removal

AYAN KUMAR HALDER ayankumarh at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:06:33 EDT 2014

> But yes, you are right, if you explicitly mount the filesystem, the sd
> name will stay around, which is the correct kernel functionality.  Same
> thing happens for lots of other types of dynamic devices (ttys, char
> devices, etc.)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The situation that I had described is
analogous to what I have faced.
I am trying to test the linux power management framework (for
hibernation) on a ARM based custom SoC which has a usb host
controller.
I attach an external usb mass-storage device(hard disk), mount it
(/dev/sda) and then hibernate the system.
On resuming I see that the usb device gets detached, the controller re
probes for the device, and the device gets re-attached as /dev/sdb.

I see that in this situation too the scsi_disk_release do not get
called because of the reference count.
So I was wondering if it is expected behaviour of kernel or not.

Regards,
Ayan Kumar Halder