USB forceful removal

AYAN KUMAR HALDER ayankumarh at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 14:43:28 EDT 2014

Hi All,

When a usb mass-storage is attached for the first time, it gets a
device (/dev/sda).

When it is mounted and the device is manually removed and then when it
is attached again, it gets a different name ie /dev/sdb.

This is because earlier the mass-storage device was removed (manually)
when it was mounted, so scsi_disk_release() did not get called as the
device (sda) had a reference count > 1.

So, if my understanding is correct, I would like to know if the above
mentioned behaviour is a bug or a limitation of the kernel?

Regards,
Ayan Kumar Halder