How to use .dts file for Kernel Image Compilation

sanchayan maity victorascroft at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 13:08:28 EST 2014

Hello,

Thanks everyone for helping. Of the two options, of either using device
tree with uboot or using it with the kernel, i have been trying the latter.

In the config file, i am setting,

1. CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB
2. ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT
3. ARM_ATAG_DTB_COMPAT_CMDLINE_FROM_BOOTLOADER
4. CONFIG_USE_OF
5. CONFIG_MACH_TEGRA20-IRIS-512_DT

I am appending the .dtb for my board file to the zImage generated and then
using mkimage to get the uImage. The booting stops at the line
"Starting Kernel....". As a result of this, i cannot figure out the exact
point of my error. As far as the config file is concerned, i have use the
first
option by itself and then tried separately in conjunction with the second
and third option as well. I get the same result in each case.

My reason for trying it with the 2nd and 3rd options, was because of
the explanation given in Kconfig file at the below link.
*http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/Kconfig
<http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/Kconfig>*

It might as well be of the kernel booting silently without any debug
console output. but, i have not been able to trace this.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanchayan.

*My original post:*
I am compiling kernel image for a Toradex Colibri module which uses
the NVidia Tegra2 processor.
The device tree support and files are supplied, which i can see on the
below link.
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/arch/arm/boot/dts/?a=arm

The file name is tegra20-iris-512.dts which then includes
tegra20-colibri-512.dtsi.

I want to know how can i link this while doing "make" for
kernel image compilation. This is required as board config file is not
present and the device tree has to be used.

Based on my
current findings, if the file name is for example exynos4.dts, this will
 be specified in the config file with CONFIG_MACH_EXYNOS4_DT=y.

I want to know if this is the correct way of specifying a device tree
file for which .dtb has been generated?

The kernel version for which i am trying to do this is 3.12.6.