kernel driver access application memory

Prabhakar Lad prabhakar.csengg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 04:47:27 EST 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:45 PM, m silverstri
<michael.j.silverstri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If my application allocate memory for input and output buffers,  and
> pass the pointer to a kernel driver (via v4l2 queue buffer operation),
> can the kernel driver access it? Do I need to setup DMA before teh
> kernel driver can read/write to it?

If your application is allocating memory for v4l2 buffers how are you
making sure its contiguous ? What call are you using to allocate
memory @application level ? If the application is allocating buffers
its USER_PTR buffer. Yes kernel can access the buffer. For reading
and writing of buffers you dont need to setup DMA.

Regards,
--Prabhakar Lad
http://in.linkedin.com/in/prabhakarlad