Difference between prio, normal_prio, static_prio and rt_prio

manty kuma mantykuma at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 02:59:29 EST 2014

Hi all,
I see the following different priorities listed in task_struct.

   - prio,
   - normal_prio,
   - static_prio
   - rt_prio

What do they signify?

Am seeing a issue(watchdog) in Android where my worker function that pets
the watchdog is waiting in the queue but couldnot be executed. Instead some
process is eating the CPU. There is no Busy while loop or some thing that i
can find. But the priorities are as follows :

*Process that is eating the CPU :*
  prio = 96,
  static_prio = 101,
  normal_prio = 96,
  rt_priority = 3,

*Kworker in which my pet_watchdg is scheduled :*
  prio = 100,
  static_prio = 100,
  normal_prio = 100,
  rt_priority = 0,

Can someone explain the scenario? Am little amused as why rt_priority is
set when i am working on Android which is not a realtime system.

Request quick responses(I am expected to conclude within today). :)

Cheers,
Manty