Object file section efficiency

Matt Davis mattdavis9 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 15:44:33 EST 2014

Hello,

Suppose I have some initialized data stored in the .data section of my
kernel module.  Now, as it turns out, that data should have been made
constant, but the latter 'const' linkage qualifer was left off of the
declaration of the variable.  This led me to the following question:

Are there any memory efficiencies with how the kernel loads the .data
vs the .rodata sections into memory?  Will the information stored in
.rodata have better cache performance than that stored in .data?

-Matt