How to test my patches before submitting them to LKML?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Fri Feb 7 10:31:04 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm currently working on some stylefix-patches for
drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c and I'm slowly getting to a point where they
seem to be ready. How to test my patches?

I know I should compile them at least, to be sure they build. But how
can I test if the code (still) works (the way it is expected to)?

Can I boot it in a VM to test it? If yes, how to (generally and
explicitly for my patches)? (There should be no difference if I try to
boot it with VirtualBox vs. KVM vs. Xen, right?)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,

Proudly sent with mutt.