Doubt In Char Drivers

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:51:13 EST 2014

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Victor Rodriguez <vm.rod25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI
>
> There is a good ( although really old ) explanation  about this here:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x569.html
>
> Please , just take it as a good ( and really old ) document to read
> and understand more about the questions you have. Things on the kernel
> have change a lot ( it was written in 2.6 )
>
> In general you can try to make the experiment of turn on and off a led
> ( easier than the monitor )
>
> Hope it helps ( at least this web page it was really helpful for me in
> the beginign )
>
> P.D. do not expect that the source code compile without modifications
> in the current kernel :)
>
> Regards
>
> Victor Rodriguez
>

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 12:39 PM, me storage <me.storage126 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am following LDD3 for Char Drivers. So we writing a kernel module(char
>> driver) after that creating a char file which is representation of Character
>> Device. So my doubt is how we will communicate with real hardware device let
>> suppose how to communicate with our monitor .
>> Can any one please explain how we will communicate with real hardware for
>> read/write calls?
>> And what is mknod is doing internally when we are creating char/block
>> devices?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance

Hi

Due to the fact that I have found that many people ( including me at
the beginning ) is looking for simple and really short example code. I
decided (since your last mail, sorry I had free time :) ) to do a
compilation of basic modules examples(nothing big and still on
progress ). They are on my git
hub repository:

https://github.com/VictorRodriguez/linux_device_drivers_tutorial

You can download them with:

https://github.com/VictorRodriguez/linux_device_drivers_tutorial.git

There is a short README ( hope it helps )

Inside the repository there is a led.c file that you will find helpful
, It was tested on an old ARM platform. However it will work on any
other embedded platform . I will test it on a minnow max
(http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/)

The basic idea is the same, the key is to have the GPIO number :)

BTW. on the same git hub you will find another Linux projects under
construction ( HAL and PnP analysis )

If you have any question or feedback please do not hesitate to tell me

Regards

Victor Rodriguez