Disable xhci_hcd USB 3.0 module

Gustavo Duarte gus.duarte at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 11:50:32 EST 2014

Hi Greg,

The Notebook has physically 2 port USB 2.0 and one port USB 3.0. The
manufacturer specs says that and the output of the command lsusb says
the same:

$ lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 5986:024b Acer, Inc

>What type of application isn't compatible with xhci-hcd?  Shouldn't we
>fix something like this in the kernel as this isn't a good thing to
>have.

The app, is a SDK of Robootic kits programming for kids.
http://www.lejos.org/nxt/nxj/tutorial/Preliminaries/GettingStartedLinux.htm
The bug is on the firmware-library of the SDK, so there isn't to fix
on kernel/driver side.

I'm using the kernel compilde by ubuntu 12.04,

$ uname -r
3.8.0-33-generic

And i would like still using that, without recompile it, for this
reason is my question, how can i disable xhci_hcd driver without
recompile it. ?

I hope the explanation of my problem be clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

Gustavo.