Fwd: Query about /proc/meminfo

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 02:30:31 EST 2014

On 13-Dec-2014 2:27 AM, "PRAJAPATI MEHUL" <mehulprajapati2802 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -I am currently working on one embedded development board.
> -I have ported 3.0.31 kernel with my personal patches on it.
>
> -When I am trying to insert my module, it fails to allocate 4MB memory
using kmalloc.

> -Below is a snapshot of cat /proc/meminfo command of my embedded linux
system.

> -According to my understanding, LowFree parameter indicates free memory
in kernel space which is around 536MB in this case.

> -There is a lot free space available in kernel space then
> why module fails in kmalloc of 4MB ?

You are asking 4MiB of contiguous memory that to physically contiguous.

In all probability you might want to use vmalloc if you need contiguous but
not physically. Better to use alloc_pages to get pages instead but still no
guarantees on your order.

Can you tell more about what you are trying to do?