Writing makefiles for headers outside 'usr/include'

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:31:44 EDT 2014

On 26 August 2014 10:09, testlaster <testlaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the initial problem I'm having is that wanting to use headers and their
> libs like module.h and init.d and pci.h for instance can't be used by simply
> going #include <pci.h> because if you check the actual pci.h (40 lines or
> so) file you will find that its allot shorter then the usual dev pci.h so
> needless to say you can't use all the functions. So now I have to use
> makefiles to point to other directories.

Stop for a moment.
What are you trying to do? Are you writing a kernel module or a user-space
application?

> I've been trying to create makefiles but at the moment the errors just rack
> up so much that I really don't know what part of the process is at fault. Is
> it the C or the headers or the wrong libraries? I'm kind of clueless to
> where the libraries might even be.
>
> Could someone please help me write a makefile for Linux headers and their
> libraries that is not in the usual /usr/include directory? The source files
> that I want to use will be in
> usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0.32-generic/include. Also if they are in the
> makefile how will I include them in the source?

If you're writing a kernel module, you can't use the headers from /usr/include.

If you're writing a user-space application, yuo should use the headers from
/usr/include, not the one from /usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0.32-generic/include.

Let us know what you're trying to do, what you've got sofar, and what errors
you're getting.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander
EPO guidelines 1978: "If the contribution to the known art resides