Questions for Storage Engineers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 19 13:58:52 EDT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:33:22 -0400, Nick Krause said:
> This is a favor for the btrfs developers, one of my aunt's work's at
> IBM and is able to ask questions
> to a few storage engineers about features they would like to see in a
> file system and it's tools. In
> addition if you would like to ask them about how to improve btrfs too,
> I can send another email
> to her with your questions.

The two most obvious questions are:

1) Why do you think that IBM storage engineers have any interesting comments
about btrfs?  Hint:  if IBM is including a storage engineer in the discussion
of a project, it's probably not a good usage case for btrfs.  Storage engineers
get involved when the right answer is Lustre, or IBM's GPFS, or SGI's CXFS,
or large-scale offerings from EMC or NetApp, or similar over-the-top solutions.

(Full disclosure: I work with those sorts of storage systems for a living, and
everything mentioned in the previous paragraph is on the floor across the hall)

2) Why aren't the btrfs developers doing the talking themselves?