Option CONFIG_DEBUG_SET_MODULE_RONX not working for kernel 3.10

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 14 09:38:43 EDT 2014

On Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:46:22 +0530, Chetan Nanda said:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to enable 'CONFIG_DEBUG_SET_MODULE_RONX' config option on
> 3.10 kernel (for ARM arch) via writing  CONFIG_DEBUG_SET_MODULE_RONX=y
> at the end of
> board specific config file.
>
> But .config generated after kernel build do not have this option enabled.
>
> Do I need to enable any other option also before enabling this one?

Go into 'make menuconfig', Enter a '/'.  In the textbox, enter a substring
of the symbol (I entered 'MODULE_RONX').

At least on x86_64, this shows me:

  x Symbol: DEBUG_SET_MODULE_RONX [=y]                                                                                                  x
  x Type  : boolean                                                                                                                     x
  x Prompt: Set loadable kernel module data as NX and text as RO                                                                        x
  x   Location:                                                                                                                         x
  x (1) -> Kernel hacking                                                                                                               x
  x   Defined at arch/x86/Kconfig.debug:112                                                                                             x
  x   Depends on: MODULES [=y]

Perhaps it's different on ARM - seems pretty silly to enable MODULE_RONX
if your kernel doesn't have CONFIG_MODULES=y in the build.

But in general, you should *NOT* simply edit the config file, because
that does *not* do any checking of select/depend as you make the change.

Then when you actually make the kernel, it *will* re-drive the select/depend
logic, and convert the provided .config to a self-consistent form.  Of course,
there is zero guarantee that the self-consistent form corresponds to your
intentions....