Formula One Scheduler (was Re: Help with git)

Philipp Muhoray philipp.muhoray at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 09:01:10 EDT 2014

Am 2014-08-09 02:17, schrieb Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:28:45 -0700, Arlie Stephens said:
>> On Aug 08 2014, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>> There's a big difference between knowing how to change the spark plugs on
>>> a VW Beetle, and being able to walk into a Formula One pit and make tuning
>>> suggestions that actually help the performance.
>>>
>>> And yes, there's *that* big a gap between the usual beginner programmer
>>> and some parts of the kernel.  In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that
>>> there are more people in this world that really understand Formula One
>>> engines than people who really understand the Linux scheduler. :)
>> Now that's depressing.
> There are 11 teams competing in the 2014 Formula One series.  Say 10 engine
> jocks on each team - that leaves us 120 or so people who *really* know
> the engines. (And that's probably an under-estimate - McLaren's total
> engineering staff is around 240 people, so they probably
>
> Looking at next-20140807:
>
> for i in kernel/sched/*.[ch]; do git blame $i; done | cut -f2- -d'(' | awk '{print $1" "$2}' | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr
>
> There's only 235 entries total.
>
> The top 20:
>
>     8922 Peter Zijlstra
>     1629 Ingo Molnar
>     1483 Paul Turner
>     1317 Dario Faggioli
>     1282 Linus Torvalds
>     1202 Juri Lelli
>      999 Frederic Weisbecker
>      703 Gregory Haskins
>      643 Rik van
>      621 Mel Gorman
>      612 Paul Gortmaker
>      517 Mike Galbraith
>      492 Li Zefan
>      472 Steven Rostedt
>      346 Nicolas Pitre
>      338 Thomas Gleixner
>      309 Kirill Tkhai
>      282 Tejun Heo
>      272 Rusty Russell
>      210 Suresh Siddha
>
> The cutoff for "less than 40 lines" is at spot #54, and "less than 10 lines" is
> at spot #98, after which point the next 137 people have contributed
> single-digit amounts of code.  (Lots of well-known names down in that
> single-digit club, too - but those numbers smell more like people who have
> changed a kernel API and just fixed up the scheduler uses of the API rather
> than doing deep understanding of the kernel).
>
> So less than 100 kernel scheduler contributors, to 120 F1 engine designers.
>
> (And yes, I'm glossing over people who have written big chunks of scheduler
> code that have since been replaced.  Feel free to dig through git history
> and do your own numbers if you want something more accurate :)
>
> So yeah.  Go ahead and be depressed. :)

But this is just a result of demand & supply: there are more F1
engineers because you can generate money by hiring them. but the
scheduler is already done - no one needs any more scheduler developers
than there are right now.
so the conclusion is not that the Linux scheduler is more complicated
than F1 engines.
hell, there are even more F1 engineers than people who know the
internals of the software i'm currently developing on. does it mean it's
more complicated? nope, it just means the company i'm working for only
needs a handful of developers.
So don't be depressed, just do what you're interested in and success
will follow.