Help with git

Nick Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 13:53:50 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:04:15 -0400, Nick Krause said:
>
>> 1.git branch next
>
> No, this should be (3) or so.  You really want to 'git clone' linus's tree and
> then 'git remote add' the linux-next tree before you do this.
>
> If you're new to git, do yourself a favor, follow the directions, and just
> build and then boot an updated linux-next kernel every day for a week or so,
> just so you know you haven't dorked up your base, *before* you go adding
> more branches of your own.
>
> And you'll do yourself a favor by calling the branch 'nickswork' or something
> so you don't confuse it with a -next branch down the road.  If you're planning
> to go on another scattershot ramble across the kernel like before, you
> *really* want to put each set of patches on a separate topic branch so you
> can switch to that branch and 'git diff' will then only produce a diff that
> contains the 2-3 patches in that topic.

I don't plan to do what I did, that was wrong and I was a complete
jackass there.
I plan to work in staging with checkpatch just to prove I can do the work first.
Then I am going to work on a few areas( still deciding where to specialize)
1. Btrfs
2. Scheduler
3. F2FS
4. Networking
5. Drivers(mostly USB and Intel Graphics)
I think my issue with getting baned was mostly not listening and
needing to learn git.
Cheers and Thanks :),
Nick