how do I port from 2.6.32 kernel to 3.11. kernel

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Aug 7 12:00:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, 07 Aug 2014 08:15:33 -0700, Omkar Houddin said:

> Can you please suggest me how to port a pci driver which is now on 2.6.32
> kernel to 3.11.4 kernel.

In general, we're very careful to make sure that if we change an API, that
the new version has a different signature (new name, or different number
of arguments, so on), so you'll get a compile error if you try to build
under a newer kernel.  Of course, if that involves a change in locking or
something, it may require some heavy lifting to fix your stuff.  But at least
identifying what needs fixing is actually easy.

So if you just compile it, and look at the errors, and for each error track
down what changed, and make the relevant correction to your code, you should
be good.

Oh, and then submit the driver to mainline, so somebody *else* does that work
for you - whenever somebody changes an API, it's their job to go through the
entire tree and fix it everyplace. One less thing for you to do. :)