Linux filesystem configuration infrastructure

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Aug 4 11:15:40 EDT 2014

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 10:20:35 +0530, Sankar P said:

> Now, I would like to add a few settings to my filesystem (such as the
> number of blocks that should be allocated in an extent by default,
> maximum fragmentation score after which defrag should be automatically
> handled etc.) I would like to have the ability to not just set these
> settings, but export them to a file and restore these settings later.

See the source code for tune2fs, which sets the parameters for extN file
systems.  The most noteworthy point is that the settings are saved *on the
filesystem*, so that it can be mounted and handled correctly from the start,
without waiting for further configuration (consider - what happens if the
"default number of blocks per extent" is 8, and you try to read the first 9
blocks of an extent written when the setting was a non-default 16, before
you've configured the setting)