Linux filesystem configuration infrastructure

Sankar P sankar.curiosity at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 00:50:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have a simple filesystem that I did for learning purpose
https://github.com/psankar/simplefs

Now, I would like to add a few settings to my filesystem (such as the
number of blocks that should be allocated in an extent by default,
maximum fragmentation score after which defrag should be automatically
handled etc.) I would like to have the ability to not just set these
settings, but export them to a file and restore these settings later.
Is there some kind of a settings infrastructure code that is available
in the linux kernel or should I be developing something specific to my
filesystem ?

I would also like to have some kind of validation system also as part
of the settings interface. For example: If a setting can accept only
ints, trying to set a string to that should be disabled, min and max
values (range) for values of settings, etc.

I googled and found that sysctl interface and the sysfs interfaces
seem to be doing something similar. But I was not sure which to pick
as the wikipedia pages were not as elaborate as I would like.

So my question is: Is there a settings infrastructure provided by the
linux kernel and is any filesystem (or any other kernel components)
that make use of such a settings infrastrucutre ?

Thanks.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com