Buffer cache mechanism

Satheesaran satheesaran at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 08:20:16 EDT 2014

Hi All,

I was reading through the text, "The Design of the Unix Operating System" -
Maurice Bach

While reading through the Buffer cache, I had the following query

Buffer data structure, has Buffer header + pointer to data area + pointers
for Buffer Management.
Does this,"pointer to data area", corresponds to disk block or Logical
Filesystem block ?

I am confused about this.

To add more, I am aware of the fact that disk block is of 512 bytes on the
most of the hard disks and
logical disk block size ( depending on filesystem ) is of 4k in size.
what would be available in data area pointed in buffer ?

Thanks,
Satheesaran