loglevel 7 (debug) and pr_debug()

Martin Kepplinger martink at posteo.de
Wed Apr 16 04:43:49 EDT 2014

I'm on Debian here and I don't really get pr_debug and printk(KERN_DEBUG
...). Let's stick to pr_debug.

I have DYNAMIC_DEBUG enabled and
root at laptop:/proc/sys/kernel# cat /proc/sys/kernel/printk
7	7	1	7

I write a module with pr_debug's. I load the module and I *don't* see
anything in /var/log/messages (or anywhere in /var/log/* ). Adding
#define DEBUG doesn't help.

/sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control has the pr_debug entries I use
in my loaded module.

In short: How do I see debug log messages? Using pr_info() works as
expected. What am I missing? Do I need to edit my Makefile?

thanks!
                     martin

--
Martin Kepplinger