Adding a dummy system call

Adam Fowler ajf2177 at columbia.edu
Fri Apr 4 20:20:55 EDT 2014

Hi Everyone,
 I am trying to learn the linux kernel via the book Linux Kernel
Development 3rd edition by Robert Love, and in it he advises to use the
macro _syscallX to allow access to user added syscalls not wrapped by glibc
functions. In my attempt to add a system call this macro failed me and
after a little man page perusal I noticed _syscallX is obselete. Is it
considered a better practice to declare the asmlinkage int sys_X(..)
declaration myself instead of using this obsolete macro? Or did syscall(2)
replace it? And if it was replaced does anyone have a reference they could
point me for adding system calls in kernel 3.10 or similar? thank you in
advance!