Ctrl-C doesn't work in the shell

Jeff Haran Jeff.Haran at citrix.com
Tue Apr 1 12:21:58 EDT 2014

From: kernelnewbies-bounces+jharan=bytemobile.com at kernelnewbies.org [mailto:kernelnewbies-bounces+jharan=bytemobile.com at kernelnewbies.org] On Behalf Of Chan Kim
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2014 10:57 PM
To: kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org
Subject: Ctrl-C doesn't work in the shell

Hi,
When I'm on a sheel on LCD using USB keyboard, all works fine (except another important problem..)  but Ctrl-C key doesn't work.
When I press ctrl-C,  '^C' is displayed on the screen (prompt line), but doesn't have the effect of killing the job. For example, I start ping and it displays the response every second, but even if I press Ctrl-C, it contiues pinging. What should I do?
Thanks!
Chan

It’s been a few years since I last ran into this, but I used to see the same behavior when the shell was provided by BusyBox. At the time, the BusyBox shell didn’t provide any sort of job control, which meant hitting ctrl-C to kill processes was expected to not work. That might be your issue too. Ping’s -c option to limit the number of packets transmitted was my friend back then.

Jeff Haran