Ctrl-C doesn't work in the shell

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Apr 1 10:13:19 EDT 2014

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 05:57:05 -0000, Chan Kim said:
> When I'm on a sheel on LCD using USB keyboard, all works fine (except another
> important problem..)  but Ctrl-C key doesn't work.
> When I press ctrl-C,  '^C' is displayed on the screen (prompt line), but
> doesn't have the effect of killing the job. For example, I start ping and it
> displays the response every second, but even if I press Ctrl-C, it contiues
> pinging. What should I do?

This often happens if you've managed to launch a shell that doesn't set itself
up as "interactive" and/or acquire a control terminal.

Quick test - if you do a 'ps', does the shell process show up with a ? or with
a tty<something>?  If it shows ?, it hasn't gotten a control terminal.

Your shell may have a '-i' flag to make it interactive and/or a '-l' to
make it be a login shell, those flags may be an easy way to fix the problem.