Question about tunnels, IPsec and redirect

bill4carson bill4carson at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 22:23:37 EDT 2013

Hi, Kevin

On 2013年09月26日 15:31, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hi,
> Of course.
> But the (unanswered) question is:
> when sp is non NULL and we are working with IPsec, why shoudn't we
> send redirect in such a case ?

Apologize for replying late.

I think you probably missing what "ICMP redirect" does, if so please
take a look at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094702.shtml

My understanding is:
If host is protected by gateway A using IPsec, even if a better routing for host is
gateway B, gateway A cannot tell host to using gateway B as next hop(sending redirect),
as IPsec policy is on gateway A only, not necessarily on gateway B.

I think this is scenario that the patch is try to describe.

--
八百里秦川尘土飞扬,三千万老陕齐吼秦腔。

--bill