Linux process and threads, CPU Affinity

manty kuma mantykuma at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 03:43:16 EDT 2013

I have few queries related to threads and Process scheduling in Linux.

   1. When my process goes into sleep and wakes back, is it always that it
   will be scheduled on the same CPU that it got scheduled before?
   2. When i create a thread from the process, Will it also be executed on
   the same CPU always? Even if other CPU's are free and sleeping.

I would like to know the mechanism in Linux in specific. Also i am creating
the threads through pthread library. I am facing a random hangup issue
which is always not reproducible. Need this information to proceed in the
right direction.

I have also posted a query for the same SO. But no constructive reply.
Hence re-posting it here.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18779947/linux-threads-and-process-cpu-affinity