Introducing Myself, Looking to Learn

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 3 17:24:02 EDT 2013

On Wed, 04 Sep 2013 02:05:42 +0530, Varad Gautam said:
> Hi Vladis! Thanks for replying. I think I would be fine with writing real
> code once I figure out what goes where.

Well, assuming you have a background as a professional or very serious
amateur programmer, *and* you have a *particular* drive to do something
specific.  There's still a lot of code being added by amateurs who have
some weird USB device that doesn't have a driver and so on - but there's
less and less room for beginners that just want to hack code and don't
care where.  Data structures and algorithms have gotten more complex,
the locking is more fine-grained and subtle - gone are the days you could
just take the Big Kernel Lock and not worry, now you ofteh have to understand
stuff like RCU locking.

So you might want to stop and ask yourself *why* you want to write code for
the kernel. :)

(Hint - we probably need more testers than we need more coders.  Every single
person that runs linux-next kernels and does QA and reports issues is a help)