Packet Loss

Kristof Provost kristof at sigsegv.be
Mon Oct 28 06:51:51 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-28 15:27:37 (+0530), Robert Clove <cloverobert at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am pumping an 1000 packets at 1Gbps and receiving on 300 packets on the
> other side.
> Both the servers are back to back connected.

Change the cable. I have no idea if that's the cause, but it's an
extremely cheap and quick thing to test, so eliminate that.

> Please guide me what to do.

Mostly give us (and yourself) more information. What kind of packets?
How are you generating them? What software are you using? What kernel
version are you using? Are you *SURE* you're sending 1000? What have you
already tried?

Then try to break down the problem, narrow down the possible causes. For
example: stick a (known to be reliable) switch between the two machines
and have it tell you how many packets it sees. That'll at least let you
know if you're losing packets on the sending or the receiving side.

Regards,
Kristof