What to do with branches after submitting patches?

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 06:04:19 EDT 2013

> > Is it possible to use a github repository and just send a "please pull
> > from git at github.com...." message to the kernel mailinglist, or will I
> > be beaten for this?
> >
> You cannot directly send a pull request until the patches are reviewed,
> once the the driver maintainer and other folks in the ML are happy, the
> maintainer will pull your patches and get it merged in mainline kernel.

If using github, I think send pull requests is a way to initiate a review.
It does not mean that that pull request will be merged as-is. As you point
out, if there are review comments, the reviewee will address those comments
and send another pull request till the reviewer is satisfied. After that
the reviewer just has to 'merge' the latest pull request.

This, of course, is the github flow, not a general workflow for reviews.

HTH,
-mandeep