What to do with branches after submitting patches?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Thu Oct 10 18:23:21 EDT 2013

Hi,

I just got into kernel development and currently doing some patching
of the usb divers for coding style adaptions and so on.

My current workflow is:

- get latest torvalds master
- merge local master with fast forward to torvalds/master
- create new branch, say "usb-core-foobar-cleanup"
- patch the stuff, write commits
- git format-patch master...usb-core-foobar-cleanup
- git send-email ...

So what to do with the branches now? I think I should keep them until
the patches are merged, okay. And then? delete them? I mean, I'm still
the author of the patches, and they will be included in history some
time (as soon as the next release comes out they will be in
torvalds/master).

I just submitted my second patch series to the lkml, and now I have to
remember which patch series was the result of which branch... if I
submit one or two more patch series, I have to remember the relations
between patch series and branches until they are merged, yeah?

Or is there something wrong in my workflow?

Is it possible to use a github repository and just send a "please pull
from git at github.com...." message to the kernel mailinglist, or will I
be beaten for this?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

--