Querry related to exporting Symbols

Pranay Srivastava pranjas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 02:33:16 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Vishwas Srivastava
<vishu.kernel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>      My question is,
> 1: can two modules export symbols to "each other". (exporting symbol and
> including .h file is sufficient??)

Perhaps not to each other. Since kernel needs to resolve all symbols
so if they exported to each other
you would have circular dependency.

Well you need to have a prototype doesn't matter where you put it. .ko
files are only compiled
object files without the linkage stage. Symbol resolution and final
load is done by kernel itself.

> 2: I am compiling a kernel module  and exporting few symbols, which another
> kernel      module (compiled with option obj-y ) will use. Is it possible
> first of all?
>  what is the way to achieve this (exporting symbol and including .h file is
> sufficient??)

you load the independent module first then load the dependent module

> thanks in advance,
>
> Vishwas Srivastava

             ---P.K.S