Linux Kernel - Modifying a module_param variable from other drivers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Nov 15 02:29:10 EST 2013

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:33:40 +0900, manty kuma said:

> I am not talking about all the variables. i am talking about variables
> which are declared as module_param. These variables can anyways be changed
> from shell prompt using echo and cat like i mentioned in the desciption.

If you actually chase through the code, you'll see that when you change a
module_param() variable, the module itself handles the parsing and then the
saving of the new value - which allows it to do any locking needed and
any cleanup of data that is required.

> SO i was hoping i can do it from drivers aswell.

The obvious first question is: "Why are you trying to change a module's
variables from behind it's back, from another module?"

There's no formal API for it, mostly because we don't usually create APIs
to support Usually Bad Ideas.