Best practice to lock a read/write to a HW register

binoy.jayan at wipro.com binoy.jayan at wipro.com
Thu Nov 14 06:51:23 EST 2013

Hi Luca

The locking mechanism to be used depends on what your piece of code does and where your code runs.
If your code runs in a interrupt context (inside an interrupt handler), you should use a spinlock (with irq save and restore).
Else you can use mutex or a semaphore.

In either cases, you don't lock the hardware register but create a lock descriptor and lock the same.
So you need to implement locking at every place the register is accessed.

Please refer http://lwn.net/Kernel/LDD3/ on how to use locks.

Regards,
Binoy Jayan