Question on Platform Device/Driver

sanchayan maity victorascroft at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 07:20:10 EST 2013

@Peter

Yes, i have read that. It says directly addressable but it's not like i can
access those addresses straight from user space. So how do i access them .
In the above case how do i access the register of the wm97 codec ic which
is on an AC97 bus?

@Anish

Yes, wm97xx-core is a touch driver falling in the input subsystem. Though i
did not look at the input core, but, i guess the touch screen functionality
is provided that way as it includes the input.h file.

Your suggestion is not exactly clear. I understand i have to write a kernel
module. I guess the functions you are referring to are already exported by
that driver code.

For my case, i was interested in reading the ADC values using four
auxiliary ADC's provided by the WM97 codec IC. If you look at the driver
code file, it has a function for reading the WM97 registers as well as the
auxiliary ADC's. I wanted to use them.

My specific question is how do i write a driver using this wm97xx_core.c to
read the auxiliary ADC's?

My general question will be how does a device use a platform driver to
provide any kind of read write functionality access to it's register or any
other functionality.

A character driver provides explicit read write functions which are used
through an open /dev node. How do i do something similar using a platform
driver like the one above?

Thanks & Regards,
Sanchayan.