Fwd: dump utility[sorry for last spam, it was tab+enter]

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 28 02:44:42 EDT 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 10:25:09 +0530, jack rule said:

>         I have to implement a dump utility which can dump the physical
> memory just before the crash/(crash +reboot).
>          if anybody have worked with it pls share any info/structure as i
> din't find anything yet on google.

Why spend time re-inventing the wheel?  Most distros already support a
"crash kernel" for specifically this purpose.  (It basically uses kexec
to boot into the alternate kernel, which does the dump and then re-reboots
into whatever your standard kernel is.  This is in general a lot safer
than trying to trust your crashing kernel to do a dump cleanly.