what's best way for playing with kernel configurations and source code

Sankar P sankar.curiosity at gmail.com
Sun May 26 14:31:20 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Alshamlan, Mohammad <malsh002 at fiu.edu> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> How you can reconfigure and also modify your source code without affected
> your system? Please, if you want to suggest a virtual machine is the best
> option, then could you tell me why? Thanks in advance.

Usually while kernel development, you do not overwrite your existing
distro-provided kernel, but install your built kernel as a new option.
This helps you in not losing access to your machine in case the kernel
changes you have made are serious.

For keeping different configurations at a source level, you can use
git local branches. See
http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching-Basic-Branching-and-Merging
--
Sankar P