Mapping of ZONE_HIGHMEM in kernel address space in 32bit x86

12 sergio.g.delreal at gmail.com
Tue May 14 13:25:33 EDT 2013

Well, I came up with the same question: Why 896MB (almost all the linear space) is permanently mapped linearly to physical memory? The alternative would be to map just the amount that accounts to the kernel image and the uninitialized data, and then dinamically map the rest. I'd guess that the tradeoff is better performance in most cases, at the cost of flexibility in the mappings, because little space is left to map potentially enormous amounts of physical memory.