Documentation on device-mapper and friends

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed May 8 10:11:02 EDT 2013

The block layers can be layered both ways.  DM is the newer
infrastructure and was created in the early days of 2.6

If what I was writing could fit into a dm-target, that is what I would do.

There are significant projects like drbd and mdraid that are not
dm-targets, but I think their is a long term goal to incorporate
mdraid's functionality at a minimum into dm.  I doubt drbd is ever
moved to dm.  It is just too big of a project and in use in lots of
production server environments.

Greg