Major number for multipath block devices

Kumar amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Mon May 6 20:09:03 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've a query regarding the major numbers for block devices that the
block layer would provide (upon invocation of register_blkdev() with '0'
as the major number) for the multipath devices, i.e. If I have one
logical volume(Talking in LVM terms)and have two paths to the same
logical volume, then it seems that the two logical volumes will have the
same major number(refer [1]). I think, to achieve this, dm-mapper would
consult with dm-multipath, but I'm finding it difficult to locate this
piece of interaction (considering that my assumption is true) between
the device mapper layer and the dynamic multipath kernel module. Can
someone please educate me here.

[1] http://plone.uconn.edu/Members/jar02014/linux-lvm-and-multipath-configration.

-Amit