Device mapper api v/s block device driver api

neha naik nehanaik27 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 15:37:50 EDT 2013

Hi,
   Reading a blog on device mapper api got me confused about when one
should use device mapper api and when to use block device driver api.
I was under the impression that even for stackable device drivers (say a
customized block device driver on top of lvm or such) we need to use the
block device driver api. But,
reading about the device mapper api i have started thinking that it may not
be the case.
May be for stackable device drivers device mapper is the solution.
What do you think?  What are the pros and cons of device mapper v/s block
device driver

Regards,
Neha