Fwd: Need a good document that explains how to analyze kernel crash dump.

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Wed May 1 08:22:26 EDT 2013

Forgot to reply-all

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Prasad Lakshman <prasad.bl.emb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply ,but the link you provided is explaining how to use
> crash utility .I think it's tool by Redhat. But what I am looking for is
> different.

crash is an open source tool, you can have it on non rhel flavors as well.

> I need to analyze when linux kernel crashes it generates a dmesg log ,i am
> looking for document  explains this dmesg crash log.

When your kernel crashes, those crash logs may not be available in the
/var/log/messages (forget dmesg, it's a circular buffer that would be consumed
even earlier). You need to configure something like kdump, netdump to have
the kernel core dumped somewhere to be analysed later using tools such
as crash.

You may want to refer this [1], a very elaborate step by step guide on
configuring kdump on your Linux machine.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html

- Amit