Creating mkfs for my custom filesystem

Tobias Boege tobias at gambas-buch.de
Fri Mar 29 05:58:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, Sankar P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to write a simple filesystem to learn the basics of it.
>
> I have decided on a simple layout for my filesystem where the first
> block will be the super block and   will contain the version
> information etc. The second block will contain the list of inodes.
> Third block onwards will be data blocks. Each file can grow only up to
> a single block size. Thrid block will represent the first file, fourth
> block for the second file and so on. Directories will not be
> supported.
>
> Now I want to create a mkfs for my filesystem as mentioned above. But
> I am not able to find out how to do the mkfs for my filesystem such
> that the generic mkfs utility will understand my filesystem. What APIs
> should I be using ?
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

According to my copy of the mkfs sources, you just have to create a program
named "mkfs.ID" where ID identifies your filesystem. Then put that program
in a location that the generic mkfs can find, i.e. under $PATH (mkfs seems
to make some additions to PATH but you should figure this out yourself).

Finally, calling "mkfs -t ID" makes mkfs search for a program named
"mkfs.ID" - simple concatenation.

Regards,
Tobi