initramfs_list

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Mar 27 13:57:05 EDT 2013

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:38:54 +0800, ishare said:

>  I am do some test  on kernel 2.6.0 and encountering an problem about initramfs .

>  I find my initramfs generated without a initramfs_list file ,which describes
>  the list of files that will be created into the initramfs file . such as /sbin/init /etc ...

What the kernel tree creates by default is a very small stub, basically only
what's needed to make sure that *some* sort of initramfs gets created so the
kernel doesn't panic on a stray pointer trying to access an uninitialized file
system.

To create something that will actually boot your system, please see
'man mkinitramfs' or 'man mkinitd' or 'man dracut' or similar for
whatever tool your actual distro uses to build a functional initramfs.