cap on writeback?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 25 20:06:36 EDT 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:33:48 -0700, Raymond Jennings said:
> Just curious, is there a cap on how much data can be in "writeback" at
> the same time?
>
> I'm asking because I have over a gigabyte of data in "dirty", but
> during flush, only about 60k or so is in writeback at any one time.

Only a gigabyte? :)  (I've got a box across the hall that has 2.6T of RAM,
and yes, it's pretty sad when it decides it's time for writeback across
an NFS or GPFS mount, even though it's a 10GE connection.)

For the record, writeback is one of those things that's really hard to
get right, because there's always corner cases.  Probably why we seem to
end up screwing around with it every 2-3 releases. :)